Obtaining a Florida fishing license is the first step toward planning your Homosassa fishing trip this year. Determining whether you need a fishing license in the state of Florida will typically be one of the first items on your to-do list for managing your upcoming fishing excursion. Here are some key points to keep in mind when planning your fishing trip in the state of Florida.
Not Everyone Requires a Fishing License
While most anglers over the age of 16 will require a Florida fishing license to catch fish in the state, there are certain exemptions:
- Children under the age of 16 are not required to obtain a license before fishing in Florida.
- Senior citizens who reside in Florida and who are 65 years of age or older are also exempt from Florida fishing license requirements.
- Fishing is allowed for residents who are fishing on their own homesteads, the homesteads of immediate family or on ponds less than 21 acres in size and located completely on private property. Fishing in these areas does require the permission of the owner.
- Those with a valid Resident Commercial Fishing License do not need to obtain a separate license for their Homosassa fishing trips.
- Residents of Florida who are eligible for food stamps or other assistance can fish from the bank or pier without obtaining a license.
- Permanently disabled individuals who hold a Disabled Person’s Hunting and Fishing Permit are exempted from Florida fishing license requirements.
- Anglers who fish with cane poles using natural bait and without any line retrieving equipment are also eligible to fish non-commercially without obtaining a license to do so.
- Fishing from a for-hire saltwater boat with a valid charter license or a valid recreational saltwater vessel license is also permissible without a Florida fishing license.
Working with a qualified Homosassa fishing captain can ensure that you and your companions stay on the right side of Florida law and can enjoy the best possible experience on the water.
The Value of the Right Fishing Boat Captain
With resident, non-resident, combination, sportsman’s and lifetime licenses available in the state of Florida along with specific permits for certain types of fish, working with a knowledgeable fishing charter captain is often the best way to navigate the rules of fishing in our area. Captain Brian Sawyer is a professional and licensed boat captain with the experience you need to enjoy the best Homosassa fishing trip. Old South Expeditions and Captain Brian handle all the complexities of obtaining the right Florida fishing licenses and permits. We allow you to relax and enjoy your trip without worrying about staying legal on the water.
Old South Expeditions and Captain Brian Sawyer can make your Homosassa fishing trip a wonderful success. Call us at 863-712-5555 to schedule your Homosassa fishing excursion and to learn more about the services we offer for anglers in the state of Florida. We are here to serve you.