Fishing along the Crystal River offers plenty of opportunities for catching a real trophy fish. Of the species that live in the Crystal River, however, perhaps none is so sought after as the red drum, also known as the redfish. Knowing where to look for these coveted fish can help you to make the most of your Crystal River redfish fishing trip this year and every year. Working with a knowledgeable and experienced fishing guide is the first step in creating a fishing experience you and your companions will long remember.
Best Locations for Crystal River Redfish Fishing
Redfish can be found in a variety of environments along the course of the Crystal River. Some of the most popular and productive spots for fishing in this area include the following:
- Shallow water areas are known as flats and are ideally suited to catching red drum. These fish hide in the underwater grasses and are often eager to take the bait for intrepid anglers in these areas of the Crystal River.
- Drop-off points and ledges occur where the flats flow into deeper water. Fishing along these dividing lines can often allow you to catch redfish that linger along this area looking for food. Sea trout are also often found along these formations and are popular targets for anglers in our area.
- If you are looking for scenic backdrops to your fishing experience, the backcountry of the Florida coast is the perfect spot for taking down red drum and exploring the beauties of nature at the same time.
How to Catch Redfish
You can choose from an array of methods for your Crystal River fishing trip. Here are some of the most successful strategies for capturing these fish:
- Live bait is popular not only with redfish but also with a variety of other fish and amphibious life. This can lead to some frustration and wasted time when trying for a trophy fish.
- Bumping the bottom of the river will often lure out redfish that might otherwise avoid your hook.
- Twitch baits suspended in the water also show good results for many anglers.
- Topwater fishing is popular throughout the summer and is ideally suited for taking redfish during the warmer months.
Captain Brian Sawyer and the rest of the team at Old South Expeditions can provide you with a curated Crystal River fishing trip that suits your preferences. Because we know the Homosassa and Crystal River areas so well, we can help you find the perfect fishing spots for redfish, tarpon and many other game fish. Give us a call today at 863-712-5555 or touch base with us through email at email@example.com. We look forward to the opportunity to help you make Crystal River fishing memories that will last for a lifetime.